Twibbons, or “Twitter tapes” in support of a cause, event, sport, country, or whatever, add an extra pop of fun and personality to your social media avatars. You’ve probably seen them around Christmas when people add Santa hats to their avatars; towards November when poppies are added; or during the Ashes or any sporting World Cup when people pin their national colors on their avatars, to name a few popular examples.
Since the whole purpose of Twitter and Facebook is fun and personality, I strongly encourage you to play with twibbons, although the standard common sense rules apply if you use social media to promote your business and choose something particularly support politician! You know best if it fits your brand, but I recommend keeping it light, especially if you’re just getting started with social media.
However, if you’d like to join in on the fun, it’s very easy to do.
I. Adding a twibbon to your avatar
- Go to the Twibbon website (link provided in step II).
- Log in using your existing Facebook or Twitter login (whichever you want to add the twibbon).
- Search or browse for the twibbon you are looking for (e.g. “Santa Hat”).
- Once you’ve selected what you want, click “Support this” next to the image.
And you’re done! Some of them, like Santa’s hats, will give you the opportunity to resize or reposition it in relation to your mug, so there’s going to be an extra step here, but that’s basically all there is to it.
The difficult thing for many people is how to get rid of the twibbon once you have it.
II. Removing a twibbon from your avatar
- Go to http://twibbon.com.
- Log in using your Facebook or Twitter login.
- In the upper right corner of the screen you will see your Facebook or Twitter name, then “(My Profile)”. Click it.
- In the center of the screen you will see your current avatar, complete with twibbon. Just above it you’ll see two tabs: one says “Profile” and this is the tab you’re currently on. The second says “History”. Click it.
- Choose the original old avatar you want to go back to and click “Restore” below it.
- On the next screen, confirm your choice by clicking “Set as my profile picture”.
And that’s all there is to it! Have fun with your twibboning!